Want to know more details about our web development process?
Check out our frequently asked questions below.
What does the website development process look like?
1. First, we’ll set up a time to chat to make sure we’re a good match for each other.
2. If we decide to move forward, we’ll have you sign a contract and pay a $500 USD deposit, $350 of which is non-refundable upon receipt.
3. If you already have a website, you’ll provide us access to it.
4. Once we have a signed contract, a $500 deposit, and access to your website if you already have one, we can get started!
5. You will have an Alley Digital team member to guide you through this whole process, dedicated to making sure you get the website you want. All our team members are state-side, native-English speaking, college graduates with extensive knowledge of WordPress, Divi, and the rest of the tech stack we use to make your dream website. Your project manager will do his best to be available when you need to communicate with him via email, phone call, or otherwise.
5. To make the process as efficient as possible, we recommend you send us inspiration for each page of your website including home, about, contact, blog, etc. You can find great example pages and website templates here.
6. As we approach exhaustion of funds, we’ll request more in $500+ increments. We bill against each $500+ deposit at a rate of $50/hour.
7. We’ll keep track of all billings in a shared Google sheet that you can view any time.
8. Whenever we have an update, we will let you know so you can view and make request for changes if necessary.
9. We’ll develop your site on a development server with a URL you can view at any time to see the website in progress. When you’re ready, we can seamlessly transition your URL to your brand new site.
How much will it cost to build my website?
On average, our clients spend $2,500 on our services to help them build or update their website.
Your website may cost more or less depending on a variety of factors.
If you don’t already have a website, expect to pay an additional ~$15 per year for your domain and between $5 and $35 a month for web hosting.
How long will it take to build my website?
We’ve had some client’s websites take as little as a couple of months and other client’s sites take much more time.
However, we strive to never be the bottleneck and try to make changes and turn-around happen ASAP!
What is your refund policy?
We don’t offer refunds for any billed time. In addition, as mentioned above, $350 of the $500 initial deposit is non-refundable as soon as payment is made because this is used to pay subcontractors and to set up your account with us.
Is graphic design, custom photography, or copy writing included in your web development services?
Graphic design, custom photography, and copy writing are not included in our fee.
However, we’re happy to enlist graphic design services or source great stock photography for our clients.
We have accomplished some of our client’s graphic design goals for as little as $50.
Sometimes we can also find inexpensive or free stock photography the meet our clients’ needs.
We also have copy writers on the Alley Digital team who can help you with your copy writing needs.
Check out our copy writing page to learn more.
Why do you bill hourly?
We’ve tried other billing structures only to find that we ended up not getting paid for a lot of work that we did.
Hourly billing is the only way we can insure that we get paid for all work that we do.
What technology stack do you use?
We typically use WordPress as the content management system, Divi for the WordPress theme, and WP Engine for web hosting.
WordPress is the most popular content management system, it’s free, and it is highly versatile.
Anyone from solopreneurs just getting started to big companies like the New Yorker use WordPress.
Divi is the most popular WordPress theme and offers its users the ability to customize nearly every aspect of their website with live front-end editing functionality.
Although Divi usually costs $89/year, we offer it to our clients for free.
We recommend (and use) WP Engine for web hosting because of their superior customer service, blazing fast hosting, and hosting optimized for WordPress sites.
If you have a different technology stack you want to use, we’re open to it.
Can you code a web app for me?
Coding web apps isn’t our focus.
Instead, we focus on helping content creators get their blogs and online businesses up and running.
However, there are countless WordPress plugins that provide code-like features like sophisticated email-opt ins, scheduling widgets, e-commerce, and much more.
Let us know what you want your website to do, and we’ll see if we can help.
Will the website you make me look good on mobile devices?
We make sure every website we make looks great on all devices. We live in a mobile-first world so we understand the importance of a seamless website experience across devices.
Will I be able to maintain the website once you complete it?
Once we pass off the completed website to you, we can be as involved as you want in its maintenance. If you want to manage the website yourself, our recommended WordPress theme, Divi, has an intuitive user interface that you can use to make website changes, big or small. If you’d rather we make future changes, we would be happy to help.
Ready for the next step?
Send us a message below and we’ll set up a time to chat.